This is something I am relearning. Life has such different seasons, each one uniquely different, shapes us, molds us, and makes us to who we are today, and some seasons are one storm after another, other times seasons of just sun, or both rain and sun with a rainbow thrown in....this blog of past reflections sums up those seasons.
I sat quietly in the dark room on my bed looking out my window at the snow, completely mesmerized by the light flakes of fluffiness fall to the ground, coating my world in white. I am amazed how a fresh snow makes everything seem new, the world seems quiet, peace seems to reign, hope seems to soar, dreams start afresh and creativity sparks alive. I love how even though the darkness has blanketed the earth the moon and city lights reflect in the sparkle of the falling ice crystals to illuminate the evening that created a mystical world of fantasy and enchantment.
I thought back to last summer, I had sat in this very spot looking out the same window at completely different weather as a thunderstorm rolled along the Colorado Plains. Lighting had flashed and illuminated the world for a mere portion of a second before it crashed into darkness and rumbled a deep throated response in return. Then there was yet another strike of zigzag light gone as quickly as it came. The clouds threatened a downpour of rain and the wind hinted at its harshness, yet as the storm raged there was peace amid it. A strange sort of excitement surged in me. The unknown future and the promises it had held even though it seemed like furry was all around was exciting not terrifying like I often thought I might feel. However, there is was the thrill of the unknown and the anticipation of what God might be doing, going to be doing, is doing, and all that He will do with me while in the middle of life’s storm. Knowing that when the storm is over, everything that is strong will still be standing washed anew and the rebuilding that needed to be fixed will be revealed. Another flash of light and roar of thunder had brought that thrill anew.
The wind to me is quite different in the spring time, I reflected, verses the harsh summer thunder storms. Spring wind brings on it coat tails warmth promised by summer and new life as trees are budding and green along with an array of bright colors are peaking out everywhere vowed a hopeful pledge that winter is almost to an end. How the rain feels delightful as I stroll in it, refreshing and romantic. Even though winter had made things look and feel dead, innovative ideas and new beginnings had an opportunity to grow again, with each new growth brought about a sense of renewal and fresh start to life. The light wind that blows brings with each gust a promise of hope for renewal and hope for a new start and a hope for the future… of just what might be.
Unlike autumn’s wind which brings a bite with it, crispness in the air and the smell of wood fires is carried to all senses. Rustic colors stand out brilliantly against deep blueness of the sky and the desire for a hot drink and a warm blanket sounds delectable. It allowed for things to come to an end, for everything to change, and get rid of what might have been, what was, and was now different. A preparation for complete change, by slowly changing in appearance to show what might be happening on the inside. It’s the end of what already was.
I sat back on my bed, again gazing out at the swirling snow making looping patterns to and fro from the sky down to the earth and sighed.
I thought about how God brings about seasons and how each one is different. Amazed how each season brings a new painting a new reflection of life and the hope that is in it. Change has never been something I have been fond of, but I do know it’s a necessity of life. I do know that for me it might take an hour to adjust or a couple of weeks, depending on the change and how it was brought about, but I know that I do adjust to the new normal whether thrust upon me or revealed that it will eventually happen. However, I am so completely thankful that indeed my life is rested on Christ and with that sure foundation, to be able to go back to that core of life I can and will survive that change. I always have.
It’s awesome to look back and see God’s hand in all of it, its perspective for sure. Many times it’s hard to see it when I am in the middle of that change, but glimpses, like the sun through a cloud covered sky, I can see reasons for why things are happening. Those glimpses are the hope to get through that season with joy, that no matter what, He has a plan to help me through it. I do hope that I do I realize the good times in the middle of the hard times; hold on tight to those glimpses of a deeper joy when darkness seems to crowd in. I know I am a romantic and I see the world so differently then others. I know I feel things in a deep way that I don’t always understand the depth of and that effect on my heart until later. Maybe that’s why I love words, to be able to express my own thoughts that I can’t nor will share in person. It’s not a mask, or pretending that everything is ok. For I do know when I say I am fine, ok, well, good, things are wonderful….that it’s true, for I am blessed. Every thing might not be picture prefect, but I do know I have Christ, and that no matter what, that is the center, despite anything that has happened to me, or will or what I might be going through I have that. Therefore I have hope, a peace that does pass all understanding and I can say I am wonderful without lying. Seasons come and go, things change, storms seem to over take, or joy in just talking a walk in the rain but… as there is a time for everything, there is always a time for the Lord in the middle of every season.
Ecclesiastes 3
A Time for Everything
1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
9 What does the worker gain from his toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God. 14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him.
Welcome Back.
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment